Omega House offers a peaceful, homelike environment for terminally ill people and provides end-of-life care that emphasizes compassion, independence, respect and dignity. In cooperation with local hospice programs, Omega House provides residents with exceptional care and attention 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Omega House is for those people:
We focus on providing comfort, preserving dignity and enhancing the quality of life for patients with advanced illness, so that they can focus on living well. We provide compassionate care to patients and families throughout Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga and Ontonagon counties, and strive to continuously exceed the expectations of the patients and families we serve.
We believe that everyone should have the ability to control the direction of their own care and make decisions about things that matter most to them. Our experienced and professional care team members are here to provide comprehensive care that meets your needs and wishes, as well as reflects your values and beliefs.
We are here for you…. Let us be by your side to manage your pain and symptoms, and provide the emotional, spiritual and practical support that you and your loved ones need at this time. We are dedicated to making a difference in your life each day, enabling you to create positive memories and find peace knowing that your loved ones will be well cared for at the end of life’s journey.
Who is Eligible?
Every Guest who comes to Omega House must:
- Be a patient of a local hospice agency in the Houghton area
- Be diagnosed with a terminal disease/condition with six months or less to live
- Have a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order
- Have a person responsible, such as a Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA) for the Guest’s healthcare decisions and financial matters
Among our other criteria:
- No infectious or contagious diseases/conditions – COVID-19, HEP C, HIV, MRSA, shingles, scabies, lice, complex wounds and the like.
- No IVs or in-use feeding tubes.
- Dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease will be considered on a case-by-case basis and only if either is a secondary diagnosis.
- No aggressive, violent behaviors. Mental health issues considered on a case-by-case basis.
What We Provide to Patients and Their Families
- A private room with 1/2 bath
- Comfortable fully electric bed
- A recliner
- Wall mounted, voice activated smart televisions
- Individual controls for heating and cooling
- Plenty of seating for visitors
- A large, low window with a view of the surrounding gardens and trees
- Personal 24-hour care from trained staff and volunteers
- Home-cooked meals served any time
- Laundry and housekeeping services
- A living room with television and piano
- A kitchen and dining room area for use by residents and families
- Special outdoor spaces including a patio and gardens
- A meditation room for when a quiet, private place is needed
- Bereavement support for social, emotional and spiritual need
Cost For our Services:
Our fees are based on household income. We employ a sliding fee scale based on your annual income and guest pay a daily rate anywhere from $50/day – $295/day. Residents qualifying at our $50/day rate will be eligible for 30 days of free care from the Gerald Vairo Memorial Fund.
When you think that Omega House would be right for you, ask your hospice or hospital social worker to refer you to us – or they may suggest Omega House to you. Call (906) 482-4438 and our caring staff will answer all your questions, and schedule an individual meeting and personal tour of our Facility.